Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Sage Advice From an Unexpected Source

Suddenly he had the urge to talk to someone and Agnes would provide a ready ear. She too often grew lonely for human conversation but she did have a friend who was the housekeeper next door and those two older ladies often spent time, sometimes, a great amount of time, sharing a cup of tea at the table in the back garden of Harris’ house. And, she had her telephone and from what Harris could surmise, she made good use of that instrument. Now she sat at the end of the table opposite him.

“Agnes, may I have the honor of your opinion on a matter of personal interest to me?” he asked as he sat down at the table.

“Sure, of course, Mr. Wimberly,” she answered. “I’m not much at giving high wisdom but I’ve my thoughts on things, you know.”

“I know that, and I appreciate it. Allow me to tell you something I have told no one else,” he said.

“Oh goodness,” she replied. “Yes. Please tell me. I know that you have been in a very good humour the last several days, so I figured you had some good news.”

“Would you be surprised if I told you that I have met a lady whom I like very much?” he asked with a twinkle in his eyes.

Her hands went to her breast. “Oh Mr. Wimberly, you are a such a tease. You’re not serious, are you? Really? Did you?”

“Yes, I am serious,” he replied, laughing. “I have met a lady. I do like her very much. Honestly, I believe that God has sent her my way to be my wife.”

“Oh my, Sir! Who is she? Do I know her?” she paused and the look of glee faded from her face.

“Agnes, you seem to disapprove. Why?” he asked, perplexed.

“Oh no, Sir,” she objected. “It’s just…”

“It’s just what, Agnes?” Now he was perplexed.

“It’s just… well I was thinking about what will become of this household and honestly Sir, what…” she left the last unasked.

“Oh yes,” he answered. “Agnes, I don’t know all of the answers. I don’t know if she will have me for her husband. Even if she does, I don’t know what we will do about living arrangements. If we combine households, I don’t know what will happen with anyone’s position. I know that I do not want to lose you or your services. I will want to bring you into our new home. I just don’t know about anything else right now. After all, I just met her and I don’t even know for certain how she feels about me. I have not even started courting her yet.”

“Sir, I know that you have been lonely and so sad for so long after Ruth’s passing. You deserve to be happy,” she said.

“Thank you,” he replied. “I never thought marriage would be for me following her, but I now know that I am not a man who enjoys living alone. I’ve been praying about it much and I believe God is answering my prayers.”

God is good, you know,” she said. “I’ve been distressed to see you skipping church so much.

“Well that is changing, Agnes,” he assured her. “I was in church last Sunday. I will be in church every time I can. I feel better being closer to God. I have so much I owe Him for. So much to be grateful for.”

“I suppose the letter I put in the post Monday was to her?” Agnes asked.

“Yes it was,” he answered.

“I thought something was up when I saw the letter. It didn’t look like it was addressed to one of your business associates.”

“You are indeed a sly one,” he laughed.

He grew serious. “Tell me Agnes, how can I know if this is the real thing? How can I know if she is the one God is sending me to become my wife? Give me your thoughts.”

“I knew when I met the mister that he was the one I was going to marry. But you know what really told me that he was the right one?”

“No. Tell me,” he replied.

“Both of us knew. I knew in my heart that he was the right one and he told me that he knew the same about me. I have always believed that when, for anyone, when the right one comes along, both of you will know it.” Her wisdom never failed to impress him.

“How long have you been widowed?” he asked. She had told him before but he had forgotten.

“Fourteen years next month.”

“Did you ever consider remarrying.”

“Oh yes. Once or twice,” she replied. “I had a male suiter who did propose to me but I sent him packing.”

“Why did you do that?” he asked.

“Simple,” she replied. “I didn’t love him. Why I hardly liked him. I thought that he was horrible looking. Oh he was a good man, I think, but I just couldn’t see waking up to see that face every morning.” He laughed in response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Club Nobody Wants to Join

Widowhood is a club nobody chooses to join, but those inducted into this club do not do so willingly. Those inducted into the club called wi...