Thursday, July 30, 2020

Introduction to 'Voyage of Abigail'

This is the Introduction page in 'Voyage of Abigail', the book now in the final preparation stages before publication.

INTRODUCTION

When I sat out to write ‘A Ship Called Abigail,’ I had no idea that from that one book, another story would spring forth. And then another. Now, with the completion of ‘Voyage of Abigail,’ two more books in the series will follow. Beyond that? It remains to be seen.

All that is necessary for another book to be brought to life, is for a character, or a set of characters within the one just written, to reach out and demand that their own story to be told. I am not deaf to those demands. I hear them, and I have promised them that their own stories will be told.

‘Voyage of Abigail’ is not a “part two” in a series. It is its own story. It is a sequel. It does branch from the story which was told in the first book, but it is its own story. Josias Lancaster whom I met in the first book, made it clear to me that his story of loss, and his new love found, although it was partly told in the former book, the whole story must be told. His story. In honoring his wishes, this book is the result.

Josias introduced me to the lady who came into his life after his own loss. She repaired the broken pieces of his life, and she became his bride. I learned that Ann Merriweather had suffered her own heartbreak, and abandonment, even though she had not previously been a wife.

Loss, however it comes about, or whatever form it takes, creates an indelible mark on the heart, and even on the spirit which becomes a part of who we are for the remainder of our days.

It is a simple truth that even later in life we can start on the path of living which we may have missed in our younger years. She found the truth in that statement and gave me a new perspective on love found and I hope, an even greater appreciation for this thing called ‘Second Chances.’

There are others within both books who are clamoring to have their own stories told. With God’s will and His favor, I will do my best to tell their stories, and for whoever should follow, their stories as well.

Dan W. Dooley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Club Nobody Wants to Join

Widowhood is a club nobody chooses to join, but those inducted into this club do not do so willingly. Those inducted into the club called wi...