Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Following a Week of No News

Anna finished dressing and making a final check of her appearance in the mirror, she prepared to go to Bryan’s room to check on him, and his readiness to leave for church that Sunday morning. A knock came upon the door to her bedchamber and Mildred’s voice came from the other side.

“Oh Ma’am, sorry to disturb you but I found something which you may want to see.”

“What is it, Mildred?” she inquired.

“A letter. I found it on the floor behind the foyer table. I found it just now. I guess it fell down behind, and nobody saw it until I saw it just now,” Mildred answered.

“Let me see it.” Mildred opened the door and Mildred put the letter into her hand. Her heart skipped a beat. It contained the return address of H. Wimberly.

From Harris! Her fingers trembled as she used the letter opener knife which was kept on the dresser to slit open the envelope. She unfolded the single sheet of paper and read;

My Dearest Anna,

Please pardon my use of the familiar, but I must let what my heart feels dictate the words my pen puts to paper.

I have come to hold a special place for you in my heart and though it is very early in our meeting and building a relationship which I hope meets your acceptance, I must say what I feel.

It is my hope that if it is agreeable to you, I may pursue the pleasure of your company and I ask your permission to court you.

I will meet you Sunday morning at church and if it is agreeable to you, please reserve a space for me near you. We will continue to talk and get to know each other better.

Expectantly yours,
Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Club Nobody Wants to Join

Widowhood is a club nobody chooses to join, but those inducted into this club do not do so willingly. Those inducted into the club called wi...